LEAVE A LEGACY
We are very grateful for the estate gifts giving by alumni and friends….it is such a testimony of faith!
“For where your treasure is, there also will your heart be.” Luke 12:34
There are many options when planning your estate in which you may leave a legacy.
Bequest in Will or Living Trust: After providing for your family, you may choose to make a bequest in your will or living trust, designating a charitable gift to St. John’s Academy after your death. A bequest allows you to make a gift to St. John's Academy, receive an estate tax deduction for the amount of the gift while you leave a lasting legacy for generations to come.
• Specific bequest – a certain amount of cash, securities, or property
• General bequest – property that is similar to all other items distributed, usually cash
• Percentage bequest – a stated percentage of the donor’s estate
• Residual bequest – all or a portion of what remains of the estate after specific and general bequests are distributed
Real Estate: From farmland, personal residence, vacation homes or commercial property, a gift of real estate can unlock the full value of your property and offer special economic advantages. If you own property not subject to a mortgage which has appreciated in value, a charitable gift to St. John’s Academy may be an attractive proposition.
Here are some of the options of real estate gifts:
1. An outright gift of appreciated property offers maximum tax advantage because the charitable deduction is generally based on the full fair market value of the property.
2. A gift of the remainder interest in your home or farm (called a “retained life estate”) can provide a current tax deduction, avoid capital gains taxes, and allow you to continue to live in your home.
3. A gift (or partial interest) of appreciated property can be used to create a charitable remainder trust which will provide you (and/for you and a second beneficiary) an annual income for life.
Life Insurance Gift: If you are interested in making a large gift with little cost, consider giving St. John’s Academy a life insurance policy you no longer need. A gift of life insurance provides an opportunity to make a larger gift than you may have thought possible. When you transfer a policy you own to St. John’s Academy as the new beneficiary, you can receive immediate and future income tax deductions for the total of premiums paid or the fair market value of the policy. You can transfer a new or existing policy to St. John’s Academy.
Giving is an act of the heart. You may give without loving, but you cannot love without giving.
We thank all our alumni, family and friends who have remembered us in your will. Our mission could not be fulfilled without your most generous gifts to St. John’s Academy. If you are interested in gifting in any way, please contact Jeff Trumbauer at 701-252-0119 or at [email protected]
"By wisdom a house is built, and by understanding it is established; by knowledge the rooms are filled with rare and beautiful treasures." Proverbs 24:3-4